That was a line that was said to me by a man named Simon, who won the past year’s Entrepreneurship Challenge, an event created by Spence Diamonds and Not For Sale to invest in refugee-started enterprises. This man had nothing but an idea, and he went with it. He worked hard, created his own business and won the Entrepreneurship Challenge — which helped his business increase production, thereby increasing profit.
When he said that line to me, “we thought we were forgotten”, it not only shattered my heart but it also made me realize … We haven’t forgot about them, we forgot how to be human enough to do something about it.
When I was chosen to go on this experience, I was scared because I have been sheltered my whole life and I have never seen THIS kind of struggle and didn’t know how it would affect me. My trip to Uganda for the 2019 Entrepreneurship Challenge was only three days after my wedding, and my son and husband would have to stay behind. This was hard, and I missed them, but I needed this. How could I truly teach my son about the world if I hadn’t seen it?
The time I spent in Uganda with the Not For Sale team and Spence Diamonds team taught me a lot. The people I met in Uganda, the children at the schools and the contestants in the challenge made such an impact on my life.
There are over 1.4 million refugees in Uganda. These people are faced with trauma, and struggle on a daily basis. Their most basic needs are almost impossible to meet due to lack of supply or funds. There were so many people walking miles with water jugs just for water.
The contestants at the Entrepreneurship Challenge all had such amazing stories of how they changed their lives, how they worked hard to better the lives of their family, and how they learned a skill to better themselves. They had such incredible and heart-breaking stories of their pasts, things that have happened to them that I could never imagine. They saw an idea, or they learned a skill which allowed them to start a business. They tried so hard to make anything work to make money — and they had success. These stories are real-life, real heartache stories, that make you realize how strong people truly are. The faces on the winners of this year’s challenge will forever be imbedded in my heart. They hugged us and shared their joy, and this was a beautiful moment. This was the face of Hope and Opportunity.
When we met the children at the schools that Not For Sale and Spence Diamonds support, and the children sang to us, I cried — each time. These children were welcoming and loving. They were so excited to show us their school and learn about us, who we are and where we came from.
The children wrote a poem about how grateful they are for the water well we built, and it broke us all into tears. Before the well, they had to walk for 3 hours just to get water to drink and wash with. Three hours … little children, and teachers. It’s upsetting. It’s heartbreaking but it’s real. When I saw their faces and how Spence Diamonds and Not for Sale is actually helping, I wanted to share this story.
Spence Diamonds is donating a portion of the revenue from every artisan-created diamond to Not For Sale to help these children. I saw this, and this is real.
I have never been more proud to represent a company and foundation that not only gives back but empowers others to succeed on their own.
The world has not forgotten about Uganda’s refugees, and I will share their story.
~ Stephanie Varone
Overview: Not For Sale is seeking a Director of Digital and E-Revenue to join our dynamic team. We’re looking for someone that can powerfully utilize storytelling to produce a revenue outcome. They will co-create Not For Sale’s brand identity, amplify our message, engage in collaborative messaging with our impact brands, social media audiences, and donors to create financial value.
Working closely with the founders and Chief Operating Officer, the ideal candidate desires to see strategy in action and can execute independently and effectively. Key Performance Metrics will include:
- Donor development: increased gifting and product purchases
- Streamlined brand messaging
- Storytelling in partnership with impact brands
- Growth in audience engagement via the development of marketing materials and messaging
- Tracking and reporting on data analytics for our website, social media, e-newsletters, and donor development
- Social media audience growth and engagement
- Timely and inspirational Impact Reports to bring into focus how we help people around the world
- Public relations and media placements
- Website maintenance as a reflection of the Not For Sale brand
- Brand Strategy and Implementation / Communications (70%)
- Loves communicating about incredible impact programming and is passionate about spreading Not For Sale’s mission to end modern-day slavery.
- Conducting market research to identify new revenue opportunities for Not For Sale and our partners and projects as needed
- Gathering and analyzing consumer behavior data (e.g. web traffic and rankings)
- Produce, edit, and consult on copy for all Not For Sale outlets (social media, web, resources, presentations, blog posts); editing of formal external facing materials (including organizational reporting and limited grant applications and reporting)
- Brand Messaging/Copy – Develop a library of brand messaging and presentations for reference across the company.
- Tailor copywriting and editing based on product, medium, and audience while maintaining organizational voice, including: social media, write and maintain blog posts, include content to be linked to from various email communications media, website, client resources (fundraising and sales), impact reporting
- Maintain brand voice, style, and strategy to execute Not For Sale brand guidelines
- Present drafts and ideas to partners and team members
- Edit or rewrite existing copy as necessary, and submit copy for approval by supervisor
- Coordinate live updates for all mediums by consulting Not For Sale program leads and account managers
- Produce copy as needed for email marketing / fundraising campaigns, social media, blog posts, and web content updates
- Maintains and performs updates to website copy such as staff bio’s as well as working with program and content leads to ensure copy created and uploaded in a timely manner, within proper voice
- Develops production of materials and incorporation of copy with full product and design
- Social Media Management, including:
- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn
- Planning / Strategy
- Content sourcing
- Strategy to meet KPIs with Nikki / Shawn
- Strategy to reflect branding with Jill
- Audience analysis
- Competitor analysis
- Line up with marketing calendar and integrate with other initiatives, i.e. campaigns, newsletters, blog, website, events
- Creation of posts, including writing, posting, boosting if needed
- Analytics / Optimization
- Assessing KPIs and progress
- Optimizing strategy
(2) Business Development / Client Service (20%)
- Developing strong relationships with Not For Sale’s impact brands
- Brainstorming and proactively creating value for the impact brands in their partnership with Not For Sale, via storytelling and providing information about Not For Sale projects and impact
- Ensuring trust and care for Not For Sale’s impact brands in developing marketing and communications collateral
(3) Marketing Administration (10%)
- Managing daily administrative tasks to ensure the Marketing department runs smoothly, jumping in “where needed,” the Director of Digital & E-Revenue
- will work closely with the Chief Operating Officer o ensure quality execution of the organization’s strategy.
- Proper organization of the team’s online drive and marketing collateral
- Research on new platforms, tools, market analysis, etc. where needed
- Minimum 5 years experience at a marketing agency, or an in-house marketing team
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally
- Excellent writing skills
- Proven track record of relationship management
- Experience in conducting social media or other online campaigns
- Organized, with an ability to work independently
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
Skills & Dispositions:
- You care: You are passionate about the mission of Not For Sale and aspire to create global change.
- You listen: You are a strong listener with a desire to learn and grow.
- You are flexible: You are able to operate at both strategic and action-oriented levels, and both independently and collaboratively in a small team.
- You get things done: You can perform and prioritize multiple tasks in fast-changing circumstances, and are self-motivated to improve your work and create new paths within your role.
- You are humble: You are humble and eager to be part of a team, which means wearing many hats and jumping in where needed. Flexibility and excitement are key!
Skills & Dispositions:
Compensation is commensurate with experience, and highly competitive in the non-profit sector.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter to Terra Judge at [email protected]. Writing sample, portfolio, and references welcome.
About Not For Sale: Not For Sale is an international 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based out of San Francisco, California that works to protect people and communities around the world from human trafficking and modern-day slavery. The organization equips and empowers survivors of human trafficking and those at risk of exploitation by providing shelter, healthcare, and legal services; education, job-, and life-skills training; and partners with leading companies and organizations to create long-term employment opportunities for survivors and at-risk communities.