About International Projects
Not For Sale is at the forefront of creating innovative, replicable, and sustainable solutions to fight modern-day slavery. Not For Sale believes that trafficking can be stopped up... Read More
NEWS FROM THE FRONTLINES
- India Latha: Freedom, Dignity and Purpose FoundMarried to a husband who respected her, Latha thought she was truly one of the lucky ones. All this changed over time, as her family environment became very abusive. For her safety, Latha knew she had no other decision than to leave, but she did not know where to go or who to turn to. But Latha is one of the lucky ones, as she soon found shelter and solace with NFS. She recently started valuable job training which would position her well for a sought after career. Join us, in helping others like Latha find their freedom, dignity and purpose in life!
- South Africa South Africa empowering locals towards sustained actionSince the Not For Sale South Africa program commenced three years ago, a main goal was always to empower local organizations and government agencies so that the program would eventually not be needed. We believe this is a much more sustainable approach in combatting modern day slavery globally. We have certainly made some huge strides in this direction recently, as a new local South African Rapid Response and Coalition Coordinator has recently taken leadership. We will be walking alongside this individual to ensure they continue to be well equipped for this responsibility.
- Thailand Making Cookies in ThailandOur children's home in Thailand creates an environment where kids can be kids. We recently heard that they spent an afternoon making cookies together, and the photos they sent over are as great as they said the cookies were. Our model aims to equip each child by engaging them in activities that allow them to explore themselves and their environment. A critical part of child development is the structured time to allow children to be curious and explore their world. We are happy to provide an environment where they can learn, explore and be free.
- Romania Fresh Crops in the Garden Farming in Romania is taking off! We are excited to be seeing fresh greens in our garden this week. The Not For Sale farming project provides organic produce for all of our beneficiaries living at our project. The farm also provides education and training opportunities for individuals to further their skills and earn an income. The produce is fresh and tasty, and is sold to local restaurants and companies who want to support local businesses. We can't wait until we can harvest our crops and bring delicious produce to the local community.
- Peru Our Indigenous Partners Attend ExpoamazonicaWe recently helped our partners in Peru attend an exposition on Amazon resources in Iquitos. Not only did indigenous leaders attend, but some of the artisans as well. This helped them build relationships with other people within their market, as well as have a better understanding of what the market wants and needs from them. The President of the regional government, Yvan Vasquez Valera, proclaimed that "Just as we open the door to international investors, we must also open the doors to all the Peruvians." His statement highlights the importance of local, national and international markets.
- The Netherlands Dutch Royal Border PatrolLast week our NFS NL director and a Bulgarian human trafficking survivor were asked to speak to the Dutch Royal Border Patrol in the Hague. Since they guard the airports and ports they regularly handle trafficking cases. They are currently investigating a Bulgarian trafficking ring, but lack the expertise to talk with the victims in such a way that they feel safe and will share their story, which is key to prosecuting the perpetrators. NFS shared from our experience with survivors from that region, and in particular the survivor who spoke provided valuable advice on approaching the victims.